Quick mussel soup
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
This soup with mussels and parsley pesto which can be whipped up in no time at all. Parsley pesto is a great option in winter when other herbs are in short supply.
- First, make pesto. Place parsley, lemon, garlic and oil in a blender and whizz until mixed. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot heat oil. Fry onion and garlic for 2 or 3 minutes to soften but not brown. Add tomatoes and wine. Simmer for 8 minutes to completely soften tomatoes.
- In a separate large pot, cover mussels with ½ cup water and bring to boil. Steam mussels until they have all opened. Strain through a colander, reserving liquid. Re-strain liquid through a sieve to ensure there is no grit. Remove mussels from shells and chop roughly, reserving a couple for garnish.
- Add the strained liquid to tomatoes, bring back to a boil, add mussels and heat through.
- Serve with crusty bread and a dollop of parsley pesto.
More of Angela's soup recipes