Easy blueberry and apple pie
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Doug Sherring
I made this for a group of friends a few years ago when we were on holiday in Wanaka and my friend Sam liked it so much we had it three nights in a row. It’s even better for breakfast the next morning. This easy food processor pastry was a signature dessert of my Grandma’s right up until her 90s.
- Line and grease a 25cm spring-form pan.
- Put flour, sugar and butter in a food processor and blend until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the eggs and half the lemon zest and continue processing to form a soft dough.
- Press dough into base of pan and up sides about 3-4cm. Optional: press two thirds of dough into pan at this step, then crumble remaining third of dough over fruit in chunks before cooking.
- If using tinned apples, drain them before spreading over lined pan. If using apple sauce, add jar of apple sauce to pan. Pour over blueberries and remaining lemon zest.
- Bake at 180C for 35-40 minutes until golden. Allow to cool slightly in pan before serving warm with cream, icecream or natural yoghurt. It’s a crumbly pie, so it makes a great dessert.
Check out more of Delaney's pie recipes