Chocolate beetroot cake
For those times when a celebratory chocolate cake is required, make it a more nutritrious superfood cake. Swap out processed cocoa for the more nutrient-dense Radiance Superfoods’ Cacao Organic Powder and add the natural sweetness, antioxidants and nitrates of Radiance Superfoods Beetroot Powder. The impressive pink icing comes without nasty colouring agents, just the benefits of more beetroot powder.
|1 tsp||Ground ginger|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|⅓ cup||Radiance Superfoods Organic Cacao Powder|
|1 tsp||Radiance Superfoods Organic Beetroot Powder|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin. Heat oven to 180C.
- Cream butter and sugar and beat in eggs one at time, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and cacao powder.
- Heat the milk until just before boiling, stir in beetroot powder and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients and milk mixture alternately to creamed butter mixture until well combined.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted in to the centre comes out clean. Leave in tin for 10 minutes then turn out on to a rack to cool before icing.
- Mix beetroot powder with 1 Tbsp boiling water and mix with icing sugar, butter and vanilla extract to produce a smooth icing, adding more boiling water if necessary.
Check out Ray McVinnie's video on 'How to make chocolate shards'