White miso pavlova
( SERVES 4 )
This recipe is from Masu's Nichiyo brunch menu by Nic Watt. Pavlova is a Kiwi favourite and to bring this into a Japanese flavour profile works fantastically well. Cover it with fresh passionfruit.
White miso custard
- Whisk the egg whites in your mixer and slowly add the caster sugar. When they come up to soft peak, add the cornflour and icing sugar, followed by the vinegar and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Spoon on to grease-proof paper and bake at 140C for about 35 minutes. Allow to cool.
- To make the custard, heat the milk, sugar and vanilla. Whisk the second milk, yolk, second sugar, cornflour and sweet white miso paste to combine. Add to the hot milk and cook until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Soften the gelatine in cold water. Add the softened gelatine and butter to the custard base, whisk, strain and cool.
- Serve together ... and be prepared to be asked for seconds.
See more of Masu's brunch menu