( MAKES 1 large pizza )
Photo by Tamara West
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Cut butternut pumpkin into even-sized slices then remove seeds and skin. Place in a single layer in a shallow roasting tray and drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place in the oven and roast until tender but not coloured, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Increase oven to 220C. Roughly chop the tomatoes and place in a bowl with 2 tablespoons oil, garlic and oregano. Season.
- If you are making your own pizza base, roll out pizza dough so it more or less fits a lightly oiled shallow baking tray (for a thin crust pizza). If using store-bought, place pizza base on oiled tray. Brush edges with remaining olive oil. Spread with tomato mixture, taking almost to the edges. Top with pumpkin and bocconcini.
- Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes until the base is crisp and the top golden. Serve sprinkled with fresh oregano leaves if wished.
- We used Farmers Mill New Zealand Flour –Homebake Pizza Base Mix for the pizza base available from supermarkets and online at homebake.co.nz