Asian-braised beef short ribs
Photo by Tamara West
|1¼ kgs||Beef short ribs|
|1 drizzle||Oil, for frying|
|1||Large onion, finely chopped|
|2||Capsicums, finely chopped|
|2 stalks||Celery, finely chopped|
|5 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|1 knob||Ginger, large, grated|
|1 cup||Apple juice|
|⅓ cup||Soy sauce|
|3 Tbsp||Korean chili paste, gochujang|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice|
- Preheat oven to 125C. Season beef with sea salt flakes and ground black pepper.
- Heat a little oil in a Dutch oven (casserole dish), add ribs and brown on all sides. Remove.
- Add chopped onion, capsicums, celery, crushed garlic and grated ginger to the dish with bay leaves, lemongrass and star anise. Gently fry until soft.
- Return ribs to dish and add sake, apple juice, mirin, soy sauce and gochujang. Bring to the boil, put the lid on and bake for 4 hours, until the meat is super tender.
- Transfer meat to a container and strain cooking juices on to it (discard solids). Refrigerate overnight. Remove fat the next day.
- To serve, remove bones, add meat and gravy to a saucepan with the lemon zest and juice and reheat gently to a rich stew. Serve with a ribbon pasta or a root vegetable mash.
More of Warren's Dutch oven recipes