( MAKES 32 )
Some of the oldies are still goodies but it’s always fun to experiment with the new. Adding diced rhubarb to my usual lemon biscuit recipe is an example.
Preferably, use the reddest part of the rhubarb.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly grease two oven trays.
- Place the rhubarb, lemon rind and juice and 1 tablespoon of the white sugar in a bowl. Mix well. Stand for 15 minutes.
- Cream the sugars and butter, until light. Add the egg and mix well. Fold in the flour,
- then add the rhubarb mixture.
- Place tablespoons of the mixture on the prepared oven trays. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until they are just starting to brown around the edges. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
The following bakes with seasonal fruit all use level metric measurements. For best results, when measuring a dry ingredient spoon it into the measuring cup then level the top with the spoon. Place the measuring cup on the bench to check if the level is correct. Do not pack it down. The exception to the rule is brown sugar. This should be lightly packed — except when the recipe states is should be ‘firmly’ packed.
See more of Jan's fruity bakes