Cilbir: Turkish eggs
( SERVES 2 )
A very popular Turkish breakfast, the yolks from these poached eggs swirl through yoghurt flavoured with garlic and dill. The dish is then drizzled with brown butter and sprinkled with a little smoked paprika. Serve with Turkish bread or pita breads to mop up the sauce.
- Stir the garlic and dill in to the yoghurt and season to taste with salt.
- Poach eggs for about 3 minutes until the white has set. The yolks should be runny.
- Heat the butter and pepper in a small saucepan, stirring constantly until it becomes a light tan colour. Remove pan from the heat; the butter will continue to brown in the residual heat but should not burn.
- Drain the eggs on paper towels.
- Divide the yoghurt between two bowls and rest two eggs on top of each. Pour over the butter and sprinkle over smoked paprika. Serve with pita or Turkish breads.
This recipe is taken from Lonely Planet’s The World’s Best Brunches, recreated by the Bite test kitchen. The book is a collection of recipes for mid-morning meals, accompanied by the origin of each dish and the best place to sample a bite. Here's another recipe from the book: Devilled kidneys, and for more brunch ideas, go to Brunches from around the world.