Fig and ricotta fritters
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tamara West
You’ll want to eat a whole jar of the scrumptious, chunky Te Mata fig jam all on your own, but a great way to share it is to mix up this quick and very easy fritter batter, add a few spoons of jam and enjoy them piping hot with icecream, and extra jam on the side.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar, add lemon zest, vanilla and baking soda.
- Sprinkle in flour, add fig jam and ricotta then mix to form a thick batter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan.
- Test by dropping a half teaspoon of batter into the oil, it should sizzle and begin to turn golden. Scoop dollops of batter into the oil in batches. Fry until golden brown then drain on paper towels.
- Dust with icing sugar. Serve piping hot with scoops ofvanilla icecream and extra Te Mata fig jam.