Buffalo blue cheese tart
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tamara West
Sometimes when I taste a product for the first time, an idea for a dish just pops into my head. A crisp, seasonal salad and rich buttery pastry seemed the perfect partners to go with the unique Over the Moon Buffalo & Cow Blue cheese. This tart can be served warm or cold.
|250 g||Short pastry, store brought or home-made, recipe below|
|1 tsp||Dijon mustard|
|1 tsp||Garlic, finely grated|
|100 g||Blue cheese, plus extra for serving, I used Over the Moon Buffalo & Cow Bluecheese|
|1 serving||Green salad|
|1 serving||Mixed vegetables|
- Heat oven to 180C. Grease a 22cm round loose bottom tart ring.
- Roll the pastry out until it is 5mm thick. Line the tart ring with the pastry, then press into the ring. Prick the base witha fork, trim off the excess pastry from the top edge and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line the inside of the pastry with a sheet of foil, fill with rice and bake “blind” for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove the rice and foil and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, milk, cream, mustard and garlic together. Add diced blue cheese, season with salt and pepper (I used freshly ground white pepper), then pour into the hot tart base.
- Reduce the oven to 160C and bake for 20-30 minutes, until just set. Allow to cool before serving.
- Garnish with seasonal green salad leaves and char-grilled vegetables. Top with extra crumbled blue cheese.
Sift 200g flour and ¼ tsp salt in to a bowl. Add 100g diced cold butter and rub the flour into the butter with just the tips of your fingers. When it resembles fine breadcrumbs, add 4 Tbsp ice cold water. Mix to forma dough then press on to a piece of cling film to form a flat circle about the size of the tart ring. Rest in thefridge for 30 minutes before rolling.