Ricotta and lemon scones
( MAKES 6 )
Photo by Tamara West
Moist and light, these scones are great any time of the day.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Set the oven baking rack about the centre of the oven. Place a baking tray in the oven to preheat.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the sugar. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Shake the bowl 2-3 times so any large pieces of butter come to the top to be rubbed in.
- Stir in the currants and make a well in the centre.
- Mix together the ricotta and lemon zest and stir into the dry ingredients, using a knife to form a soft dough. Turn out on to a lightly-floured surface and knead quickly and lightly to bring together. Use the heel of your hand to press the dough into a 2.5cm thick round.
- Remove preheated tray from the oven and place dough on. Use a sharp knife to mark into 6-8 wedges, cutting just through the surface. Brush with the milk and place in the oven for 20 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack. Cover with a clean tea towel and allow to steam for a minute or two before serving.