Mango and banana salad with yoghurt and coconut sponge
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
This could also be served on individual plates or bowls.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Line a small shallow baking tin (mine is 19cm x 27cm) with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until thick, creamy and pale. Fold in the flour and coconut.
- Pour into the tin and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Reserve.
Here's how to make a simple three-ingredient sponge. No butter or baking powder. Just flour, sugar and eggs… “the real deal”.
- Put the sugar into a saucepan and add the boiling water. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool, chill and reserve.
- Spread the yoghurt on a cold serving platter. Pour the coconut cream over the top.
- Break the coconut sponge into bite sized pieces and sprinkle them over the yoghurt and coconut cream.
- Sprinkle the fruit on top of the sponge. Drizzle the palm sugar syrup over everything. Sprinkle the lime zest and coriander on top and serve.