Mango and banana salad with yoghurt and coconut sponge
Photo by Tamara West
This could also be served on individual plates or bowls.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Line a small shallow baking tin (mine is 19cm x 27cm) with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until thick, creamy and pale. Fold in the flour and coconut.
- Pour into the tin and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Reserve.
Here's how to make a simple three-ingredient sponge. No butter or baking powder. Just flour, sugar and eggs… “the real deal”.
- Put the sugar into a saucepan and add the boiling water. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool, chill and reserve.
- Spread the yoghurt on a cold serving platter. Pour the coconut cream over the top.
- Break the coconut sponge into bite sized pieces and sprinkle them over the yoghurt and coconut cream.
- Sprinkle the fruit on top of the sponge. Drizzle the palm sugar syrup over everything. Sprinkle the lime zest and coriander on top and serve.
More Ray McVinnie's recipes for Mother's day