( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Doug Sherring
Nothing screams colder nights like crumble. Classic apple is still a favourite but making the most of autumn’s best with pears and feijoas is well worth a try. The pears don’t go quite as soft as apples, and you can have a play around with crumble toppings. The classic oat and butter top is a good one, but there are some great alternatives to make them gluten-free and dairy-free. I often throw in all sorts of ingredients into my crumbles: use whatever nuts and seeds you like.
- Place pears in a pot and add water and sugar. Cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crumble topping. Place flour, oats, almonds and nuts in a bowl and mix together well.
- Grease a small dish with butter. Drain the pears and place in the dish. Add feijoas. Add melted butter to oat mixture and mix well.
- Pour mixture over the fruit, ensuring the fruit is covered. Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Serve with runny cream, icecream, or yoghurt.