Roasted buttercup squash and carrot soup
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
- Heat oven to 190C. Place buttercup squash quarters in a roasting dish and roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until soft when pierced with a skewer. When cool enough to handle, remove seeds and skin and discard. Set aside buttercup flesh.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the spices and cook until aromatic. Add the buttercup flesh and carrots and stir well to coat in spice mixture. Pour in the stock, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and bring up to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool a little, then puree in a blender until smooth (if soup is too thick, add a little water). Serve hot with crusty bread.
- Instead of buttercup squash you could use butternut or crown pumpkin.
- Finish the soup with a dollop of creme fraiche or natural yoghurt and chopped fresh parsley leaves or coriander or even some snipped chives.