Po' boy sliders
( MAKES 6-12 )
Photo by Tamara West
|½ cup||Cornmeal, fine, or use polenta|
|⅓ cup||Cornmeal flour, also called maize flour|
|2 Tbsp||Sesame seeds|
|½ tsp||Onion powder|
|½ tsp||Garlic powder|
|½ tsp||Cayenne pepper|
|½ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|2||Lemons, 1 zested and juiced, the other cut into wedges for serving|
|1 splash||Vegetable oil|
|6||Slider buns, or 12 if allowing only 1 oyster per slider|
|1 serving||Tartare sauce, per slider|
|1 serving||Baby cabbage, or lettuce, finely shredded per slider|
|3||Tomatoes, 1 slice per slider|
- Mix cornmeal with cornmeal flour, sesame seeds, salt and garlic and onion powders, cayenne pepper and ground black pepper.
- Whisk buttermilk with the zest and juice of 1 lemon and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip oysters into the buttermilk, dredge in the cornmeal mix to coat and fry in hot oil until just golden (about 1 minute).
- Halve and toast slider buns to colour, spread tartare sauce on the bottom, top with finely shredded baby cabbage (or lettuce), a slice of tomato and 1-2 oysters. Serve with lemon wedges and sea salt. Top and scoff.
More slider recipes (and an adult thickshake) from Warren Elwin
- The original beef slider
- Captain Boydle’s chorizo, snapper and sauerkraut slider
- Bourbon and hokey pokey thickshake