Venison medallions, kumara and blue cheese mash, soft onions with rainbow chard
( SERVES 2 )
Onions and chard
|1 splash||Red wine|
|1||Red onion, thinly sliced|
|1 Tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|1 pinch||Brown sugar|
|1 bunch||Rainbow chard, rinsed, or sliverbeet or spinach|
For the mash
- Peel the kumara and cut into large cubes. Add to a pot of rapidly boiling water and cook for about 15 minutes, until soft.
- Drain the kumara well. In a bowl, place the kumara and add the splash of milk. Season well with salt and pepper, then mash the kumara until smooth, tasting and adjusting the seasoning and adding a little more milk if necessary.
- Keep warm until ready to serve, then add the parsley and blue cheese and gently stir through.
For the venison and onions and chard
- Rub the medallions with a little olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan (preferably cast iron) to high.
- Panfry the medallions, about 3-4 minutes each side for medium-rare. Let the meat rest for a couple of minutes under tinfoil while you do the onions and chard.
- Deglaze the pan with a splash of red wine, and add the butter and a little oil. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes until they are slightly translucent. Add the balsamic, salt and sugar, and saute until soft.
- Add the chard, and mix through as it wilts and cooks. Once completely wilted and mixed in, serve with the mash and the venison.