Cherry tomato tart
( SERVES 4 )
For something a bit savoury, I’ve made this tart. It’s quick and simple, especially if you have pastry in your freezer. My mum had an enormous crop of tomatoes this year, so l stocked up, and into this tart they went. You might have a few left from the end of summer, but we can usually get cherry tomatoes most of the year. They’re nice and sweet, and make a great combo with the crispy bacon. Perfect for brunch or lunch, served with a green salad.
- Heat oven to 190C.
- Grease a quiche dish (about 22cm) with butter, and line it with the pastry, trimming the edges.
- Spread tomato relish on the base of the pastry.
- Fry the bacon pieces until slightly crisp. Spread over the base of the tart.
- Add tomatoes, and ensure they are evenly spread out.
- Whisk the eggs together, then carefully pour the mixture into the shell.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add the thyme.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden and the tart has set (ie, isn’t too wobbly). Serve with additional relish on the side, and a green salad.