Braised lamb with herbs
( SERVES 6 )
Melt-in-the-mouth tender. Slice or pull the lamb apart and serve on a platter for diners to help themselves.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly oil a casserole just large enough to hold the lamb. I used a cast iron casserole.
- With the tip of a sharp knife, score the fat in a criss-cross fashion.
- Remove the leaves from the thyme and rosemary and finely chop. Combine with the sage, oregano, salt and pepper. There should be about a ¼ cup of the chopped herbs and seasonings. Press ¾ into the scored lamb, pressing it in well.
- Sprinkle the remaining herb mixture on the base of the casserole. Place the lamb in the casserole then drizzle it with the lemon juice, honey and olive oil.
- Add the wine to the casserole, cover and cook for 2½ hours, until very tender. Check occasionally to ensure there is enough liquid.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes. Serve the lamb drizzled with the pan juices.
See more of Jan's Easter recipes