Eggplant, tomato and chickpea tagine with harissa
( SERVES 4 )
|4 cloves||Garlic, peeled and crushed|
|150 g||Red chillies, fresh|
|2 tsp||Ground coriander|
|2 tsp||Caraway seeds, ground|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh mint, finely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh coriander, finely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve|
- Grind all the harissa ingredients in a food processor or a mortar and pestle until smooth.
- Reserve 1 Tbsp. Slice the eggplant into rounds and marinate in the harissa for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (or you will need to simmer the tagine on the stovetop for 1 hour).
- Arrange the eggplant alternating with the tomatoes in the tagine.
- Scatter over the chickpeas, oil, stock and then the lemon zest. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Mix 1 Tbsp of harissa with 2 Tbsp of olive oil and spoon into each dish to taste.
- Season and serve with fresh mint and coriander.
Tip: The harissa will keep for at least 1 month in the fridge.