Chicken thighs with fresh egg noodles
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
|8||Boneless chicken thighs, skinned|
|1 Tbsp||Light soy sauce|
|1 Tbsp||Dry sherry|
|2 Tbsp||Peanut oil|
|1 bunch||Spring onion, trimmed and sliced|
|1 stalk||Lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped|
|1||Red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped|
|500 g||Egg noodles, use fresh noodles|
- Cut each chicken thigh into 4 pieces and place in a bowl with the soy sauce, sherry and cornflour. Mix to combine and set aside while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the peanut oil in a large deep-sided frying pan or wok over a medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken pieces and cook on both sides until browned and almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate, add remaining peanut oil and cook remaining chicken pieces. Return all chicken pieces to the pan or wok.
- Add the spring onions, lemongrass, chilli and noodles and continue to cook, stirring continuously until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the fish sauce, lime or lemon juice and basil leaves and divide between 4 warmed bowls.
- Fresh egg noodles can be added straight into your frying pan or wok. If using dried noodles, cook them first according packet instructions.
- If you like some broth with your noodles, add some well-flavoured vegetable or chicken stock into the pan or wok just before the end of cooking.
- Extend by adding chopped Asian greens, courgette or eggplant.