Carmel Moore’s koko cupcakes with koko lime icing
( MAKES 12 )
Carmel’s natural beauty is surpassed by something even more beautiful — she has a belly laugh that could fill a room! Carmel’s use of raw sugar in this terrific cupcake recipe adds a caramel flavour. She moistens the recipe with coconut cream and coconut oil — that’s culinary fa‘a Samoa.
Recipe from Robert Oliver's book Mea’ai Samoa.
|1½ cups||Raw sugar|
|¾ cup||Koko Samoa|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|½ cup||Coconut cream|
|½ cup||Coconut oil|
|¾ cup||Water, boiling|
- Heat the oven to 160C. Place cupcake papers in muffin tin holes.
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the boiling water. Beat for about 2 minutes.
- Add the boiling water and mix well.
- Pour into prepared muffin tin and bake for 30 minutes. Cool before icing.
- For the icing: Combine all ingredients except the grated coconut and whisk until smooth. Top each cupcake with a generous dollop of koko lime icing and garnish with freshly grated coconut.