Summer tomato soup with basil and ricotta
( SERVES 3 )
Photo by Tamara West
- Sweat onion and garlic in half of the oil just until soft and translucent. Transfer everything from pan to a roasting dish, spread in an even layer and add basil leaves, then arrange tomatoes, cut side up, on top.
- Pour remaining oil over tomatoes, sprinkle with vinegar and season generously with sea salt.
- Roast at 200C for 30-35 minutes or until tomatoes are very tender. Allow to cool slightly, then pull off and discard all the tomato skins that can be easily removed. Transfer all contents of roasting pan to a blender or food processor, making sure you get all the oil too.
- Heat stock to just boiling, then add to blender. Pulse to a slightly rough puree.
- Adjust seasoning with salt to taste, then serve — either while still warm, or cooled to room temperature — adding a good swirl of basil oil, and a generous scoop of ricotta to each bowl.