Stuffed courgette flowers
If you don’t grow your own, ask your local greengrocer to procure some or visit a farmers’ market. Serves 4 as a starter.
|8||Courgette flowers, each with a small piece of courgette attached, if possible|
|4||Kalamata olives, pitted and diced|
|4 large||Basil leaves, sliced|
|100 g||Ricotta cheese|
|4 Tbsp||White breadcrumbs|
- Carefully remove the stamens from the flowers. Combine the olives, basil, ricotta and breadcrumbs. Spoon into the centre of each flower. Twist the petals to enclose the filling.
- To prepare the batter, place the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk in the oil and soda water. Fold in the egg white.
- Heat the oil until a faint haze rises. The temperature should be about 180C.
- Dip two flowers at a time into the batter and deep-fry quickly. Drain on paper towels.
- Great sprinkled with flaky sea salt and accompanied by lemon wedges.