Peach and ginger friands
( MAKES 6 )
Photo by Tamara West
Friands are best made and eaten on the same day. Peach and ginger is a good flavour combination with the cinnamon adding both flavour and a nice colour. Friand pans have oval holes, but you can substitute a muffin pan.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Lightly butter a 6-hole friand pan.
- Sift icing sugar, flour, baking powder and spices together and stir in the ground almonds. Add the melted butter and stir well to combine.
- Whisk egg whites with a fork until frothy and fold into the butter mixture.
- Pour mixture into the 6 friand holes (they should be twothirds full) and place a slice of peach on the top of each.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until they are firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave for a few seconds before running a knife around the edge of the friands and turning out on to a wire rack.