Red onions with olives, skordalia and fried capers
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Red onions with olives
|6 cloves||Garlic cloves|
|1 cup||Vegetable stock|
|½ cup||Red wine|
|2 tsp||Brown sugar|
- Peel the onions and slice thickly. In a heavy-based saucepan add the onions, olives, garlic, stock, wine, sugar and salt. Gently simmer for 1 hour.
- Peel the garlic. Peel the potatoes and roughly chop then add with the garlic to a saucepan. Cover with water, then boil until soft, drain.
- Mash the potatoes, garlic, almonds, milk, olive oil, lemon and salt together until smooth (or use a ricer), then use a spatula to whip the mixture together. Taste for seasoning and add more lemon if necessary.
- Heat the olive oil. When hot, add the capers and fry for approximately 3 minutes or until crispy, then drain.
- Serve the onions and olives with a generous dollop of skordalia then finish with olive oil and capers.