Roasted whole onions with pancetta and currants
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Grease an oven proof dish with the butter. Peel the onions, slice a piece off the base so they sit flat and then pierce each whole onion 6 times with the point of a sharp knife.
- Place the onions in the dish and wrap with pancetta. Use toothpicks if necessary to ensure the pancetta holds.
- Pour over the wine, oil and currants, season.
- Cover the dish with baking paper and bake for 40 minutes, then remove the paper and continue cooking for another 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the onions, until they are soft and golden.
- Serve individually with the currants and juices spooned over.