( MAKES 20cm cake )
Photo by Tamara West
|1½ cups||Self raising flour|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|½ tsp||Grated nutmeg|
|½ tsp||Five spice|
|½ cup||Pecan meal, (blitz whole nuts to make meal)|
|1 cup||Caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle over cake|
|500 g||Plums, red, grated, plus extra plum slices to top cake|
|100 g||Unsalted butter, melted|
|1 pot||Cream, or yoghurt to serve|
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm cake tin and line with baking paper.
- In a bowl, sift together self-raising flour, baking soda, salt, grated nutmeg and five spice powder and mix in the blitzed pecans (pecan meal).
- Beat eggs with 1 cup caster sugar until ribbony. Fold in grated plums.
- Fold the wet into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in melted unsalted butter until incorporated.
- Pour into the greased and lined tin, arrange thin slices of plum across the top, sprinkle with caster sugar and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer comes out clean. Serve with cream or yoghurt.