East-west squid risotto
( SERVES 2 )
Frozen squid is economical and nutritious. Pan-fry quickly — 1-2 minutes — otherwise it will go tough.
|1 Tbsp||Peanut oil|
|½ cup||Risotto rice|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|1 tsp||Grated ginger|
|2½ cups||Fish stock, well flavoured, boiling|
- Heat the peanut oil in a non-stick frying pan. Sauté the shallots, until softened. Stir in the rice until coated in the oil. Add the garlic and ginger. Stir in about a half cup of the fish stock.
- Stir until the rice has absorbed the fish stock. Repeat this procedure using a half cup of boiling stock each time, until the rice is just cooked.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy pan. Add the garlic, green pepper, bacon and chorizo. Stir-fry until the bacon is just cooked. Add the squid rings and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and sesame oil. Cover and remove from the heat. Stand for 2-3 minutes until the squid is cooked.
- Place the rice in shallow bowls and top with the squid mixture. Great garnished with chopped coriander or parsley.