Pfeffernussen (pepper nuts)
Photo by Ted Baghurst
This recipe has been supplied by Cosset Cafe who has developed quite the following for its vegan fare. This sweet treat, from owner Kellie Gray, makes the most of the left over Christmas cake ingredients and chocolate.
|75 g||Cocoa butter|
|50 g||Olivani, or vegan margarine|
|¾ cup||Dark muscovado sugar, use fairtrade and organic|
|⅓ cup||Golden syrup|
|1½ Tbsp||Almond milk, warm|
|350 g||Spelt flour, organic|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|½ tsp||Grated nutmeg|
|¼ tsp||Ground cloves|
|¼ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper, finely ground|
|¼ tsp||Baking soda|
|50 g||Icing sugar|
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Melt together cocoa butter, margarine, muscovado and golden syrup until combined.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in warm almond milk.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Add and stir in sifted flour, spices and soda.
- Roll into 20-25g balls and place 3cm apart on a lined baking tray.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes until evenly golden.
- Rest for 10 minutes and then toss warm pfeffernussen in sifted icing sugar.