Spiced cupcakes with strawberry icing
( MAKES 18 )
Photo by Ted Baghurst
This recipe has been supplied by Cosset Cafe who has developed quite the following for its vegan fare. This sweet treat, from owner Kellie Gray, makes the most of the season's strawberries.
|2⅛ cups||Plain flour|
|1⅛ cups||Sugar, organic|
|½ tsp||Baking soda|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|½ tsp||Ground ginger|
|¼ tsp||Ground nutmeg|
|¼ tsp||Ground cardamom|
|¼ tsp||Sea salt, fine|
|½ cup||Soya bean oil, soy|
|1½ cups||Soy milk|
|1 Tbsp||Cider vinegar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
For the cakes
- Preheat oven to just 140C. Sift together dry ingredients.
- Combine wet mix.
- Add wet mix to dry mix and fold together gently being careful not to over mix.
- Fill cupcake cases ¾ full and bake for about 25 minutes until bouncing back and slightly golden.
- Once cool you can top with icing and garnish with fresh strawberry.
- Mash together a couple of fresh strawberries with the back of a fork.
- Add two tablespoons of Olivani or a similar alternative. Use electric beaters to whip together, adding icing sugar until you reach a firm yet spreadable consistency.
Note: You can use any alternative base oil and milk for this recipe.