Grilled eggplant with thyme and parmesan
Photo by Tamara West
Choose smaller, younger and tender eggplants (aubergines), allowing 1 per person. This grilled eggplant is delicious with cooked chicken or barbecued red meat
|1 serving||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 sprigs||Fresh thyme, stems discarded and leaves roughly chopped|
|1 cup||Grated parmesan cheese|
- Heat the oven to 200C on fan grill setting.
- Slice eggplant into about 4 thick slices lengthwise and place on a shallow baking tray. Brush both sides generously with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over thyme leaves.
- Place under the grill and cook for 10-12 minutes or until slices are tender and cooked right through. Turn if necessary, although you shouldn’t need to if using fan grill.
- Remove from the grill and sprinkle with parmesan. Return to the grill and, watching carefully, grill until the cheese has melted, turning crisp and golden.
- Serve grilled eggplant slices with a salad of chopped mixed-variety tomatoes and basil leaves, crusty bread and extra olive oil for dipping.