Burnt butter biscuits
( MAKES 36x 5cm biscuits )
Photo by Fiona Andersen
Burnt butter biscuits are definitely tastier than they sound and it is always fun to burn something intentionally! The more you burn the butter, the better they are and the dough lasts for ages in the fridge, so double the recipe if you want to keep some on hand.
- Heat oven to 170C. Beat sugar, eggs and vanilla in a mixer until pale and thick.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a saucepan until frothy and turning golden. Continue to cook until butter begins to burn. (This is important to do as most of the biscuits’ flavour is developed through this process.) Once butter has started to burn, slowly pour into mixing bowl while the mixer is still running.
- Once butter is fully incorporated, sift flour and baking powder together and mix into the creamed mixture until just combined.
- Roll dough into balls, about 1 dessertspoonful each, and place on a lined oven tray, allowing plenty of room to spread.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.