Involtini with tomato sauce
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
- Heat the grill to very hot. Remove core from peppers and cut each in half. Discard the seeds. Place halved peppers on a lightly oiled baking tray cut side down and place under the grill until skins are blackened. Place peppers in a bowl, cover bowl and let them steam for about 10 minutes. Peel away blackened skins and discard. Cut peppers into quarters.
- Turn oven to 160C. Lay beef on a board. between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, bat out each half to make thinner Season each piece with salt and freshly ground black pepper and spread over crushed garlic and chopped herbs. Top each with a piece of red pepper.
- Remove the sausage meat from their skins and roughly shape the meat into 8 free-form sausages. Place 1 on top of each piece of red pepper and then roll up and secure each with a toothpick to form an involtini or roll. Rub each with a little olive oil.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat, place in the involtini and brown.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish, pour over the tomato passata and place in the oven. Cook for 1-1½ hours until beef is tender. Serve with some greens and crusty bread to mop up the sauce.