( SERVES 4 )
The famous savoury custard from Japan is the green pepper custard I cooked in the elimination. It is a simple and elegant dish that can be combined with any fresh vegetables or cooked meats and eaten hot or cold.
- Place the prawns in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the mirin and allow to marinade for 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Gently whisk the eggs until combined and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of mirin, soy and salt while creating as few bubbles as possible and then sieve the mixture.
- Distribute the mushrooms and prawns between each of the bowls and pour over the egg mixture and cover each bowl with aluminium foil or cling film.
- Place the bowls in a steamer and steam for 15-20 minutes, or cook in a bain marie in the oven at 220C for 25-30 minutes. The custard should be just set and still be quite wobbly. A toothpick stuck into the middle will come out clean when done.
- Remove from the steamer and garnish with spring onion and chilli flakes.