Gingerbread with fried apple and mascarpone
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a loaf tin.
- Cream the butter, sugar and golden syrup until light and pale. Mix in the beaten egg.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and ginger. Gently fold into the creamed mixture.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the milk and add.
- Spoon into the loaf tin and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Leave for 5 minutes before turning out on to a cooling rack.
- Heat a pan, add the butter and oil. When hot, fry the slices of apple for 30 seconds then turn over and repeat.
- Serve with slices of warm gingerbread and mascarpone.