( MAKES 36 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Who doesn't like fudge? Many pots of fudge have been made in our home. From the school fairs where we churned it out year after year and packaged it up in cellophane bags, to last-minute gifts for grandparents and aunts. Chocolate fudge is great but this Russian fudge with nuts is so much better. Don't be distracted while making it as it can burn in a matter of seconds. And beware of timing. I find if I make this too early it gets eaten and I have to make more.
- Line a 20 x 20cm tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Into a large pot place milk and sugar. Slowly heat until sugar has dissolved. Add butter, golden syrup and condensed milk.
- Stirring continuously, bring mixture to the boil. Continue to stir for 8-10 minutes until fudge reaches soft ball stage. (Test a little in cold water - if it rolls into a ball easily it is ready.) Remove from heat.
- Beat for 2 or 3 minutes with a whisk or electric beater. Fold through pistachios then pour into lined tin.
- When cool, cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.