Chocolate ganache tart with fresh strawberries and cream
Photo by Michael Craig
Edible flowers go a long way to making things look festive, as do fresh berries. And chocolate is a guaranteed winner. A dessert table at Christmas is always a highlight — if you have a big family gathering, you could put on all the classics: trifle, Christmas pudding, fruit salad, even pavlova if you’re that way inclined. Add a chocolate ganache tart and you’ll definitely be needing an afternoon nap.
My friend Kelly made a chocolate ganache tart for a dinner party earlier this year, and I’ve been obsessed with making different versions ever since. It’s so luscious, but quite a simple dessert. This gluten-free version will be a welcome addition to a Christmas dessert table. Thanks for the inspiration, Kelly!
|375 g||Dark chocolate, I used Dark Ghana|
|1||Vanilla pod, seeds scraped out, or one teaspoon vanilla paste|
To garnish and serve
|1||Vanilla pod, seeds scraped out, or 1 tsp vanilla paste|
|¼ cup||Icing sugar|
|1 punnet||Strawberries, chopped|
|1 serving||Edible flower|
For the tart shell
- Preheat oven to 175C and grease a 23cm tartpan (with a removable base).
- In a food processor, pulse together the coconut, ground almonds and salt until finely ground.
- Melt together the coconut oil and honey and add it to the almond mixture. Pulse until it starts clumping together.
- Place dough onto tart pan and press down with your fingers. Ensure it is spread evenly and pinch the top to make a smooth edge.
- Prick the dough on the bottom of the pan with a fork. (You can use baking paper and pie weights here if you wish, but it’s not strictly necessary.)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden and firm.
- Once the shell has cooled slightly, remove from the tin and transfer to a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before filling with ganache.
For the chocolate ganache
- Chop the chocolate well and set aside.
- Place a small-medium heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water, being careful not to let the water touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the cream and start to heat gently.
- Add the chocolate and the vanilla seeds to the cream and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Continue to heat gently and stir, as they melt together. Remove from the pot at intervals if necessary, being careful not to split the mixture.
- Continue stirring until the chocolate is melted and you have a glossy mixture.
- Pour into tart shell and allow to set in the fridge, at least 1. hours, or overnight.
To garnish and serve
- Beat together the cream, vanilla and icing sugar until softly whipped.
- Remove tart from the fridge at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Cover in strawberries and sprinkle over the edible flowers. Serve with cream.