Butterflied lamb leg with rosemary and garlic
Photo by Michael Craig
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- In a roasting tray, lay out the parsley and mint, then add the sliced onions.
- Place the butterflied lamb leg on top of the onions, fat side up (there should be a thin layer of fat on one side).
- Score the lamb on the side with the fat in large diagonal shapes.
- Sprinkle over a large pinch of sea salt, and crack over plenty of black pepper.
- Rub the garlic into the slits where you’ve scored it, then sprinkle over the rosemary and rub that in too.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and rub into the skin.
- Place the lamb on a high rack in the oven and grill for 20-25 minutes (depending on its size) until the skin crisps and goes golden.
- Remove from oven and add wine to the tray.
- Return the lamb to the oven, but move it down from the top shelf to the centre of the oven. Roast for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, rest for 5-10 minutes, then slice into thick strips. Serve on a plate of fresh parsley and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Use the pan juices and onion to make a gravy if you wish.