Scallops with anchovy butter
( SERVES 4 )
A scallops search on bite.co.nz produced this Listener recipe that is just the right amount of special for this time of year. It makes a great entree or lunch dish served with a crisp glass of white such as Saint Clair Vicar’s Choice, pinot gris.
|20 stalks||Asparagus, trimmed|
|12||Gourmet potatoes, cooked and cut into 5mm thick rounds|
|4 tsp||Unsalted butter, melted|
|1||Lemon, for squeezing|
|1 serving||Chives, snipped, for serving|
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and plunge in the asparagus. Cook until tender (a maximum of 3 minutes). Remove from the water, drain on a tea towel, then roll it up to keep the asparagus warm.
- In a large frying pan heat the butter and oil and cook the potatoes until crisp. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Drain on kitchen paper and keep in a warm place. Wipe the frying pan clean and return it to the heat.
- Put the scallops into a bowl and mix with the melted butter until they are well coated.
- Carefully add the scallops to the hot pan and cook until golden brown. Season with salt and a squeeze of lemon juice, then remove from the pan and lower the heat.
- Add the anchovy butter to the pan and let it melt slowly while stirring through the pan juices.
- Place a small pile of potatoes in the centre of each plate and lay 5 asparagus spears on top. Divide the scallops between and plates and pour anchovy butter over each stack. Sprinkle with chives.
- For the anchovy butter blitz all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Place on a piece of baking paper and roll into a long log shape. Refrigerate until ready to use. Will keep for months in the freezer.