Ginger Christmas pud
( SERVES 8 )
This light fruit pudding can be made one day ahead. Reheat in the microwave or steamer.
- Spray the inside of a 6-8-cup pudding basin, Bundt pan or similar with oil. Then rub with a teaspoon of the butter.
- Sift the flour and remaining dry ingredients — except the sugar — into a bowl.
- Beat the sugar and butter in large bowl — preferably with an electric beater — until well mixed. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the marmalade, mixed fruit and molasses and mix, until smooth. Add the flour mixture and mix until just blended. Pour into the prepared pudding basin or pan. Cover tightly with foil.
- Place the basin on a rack in a large saucepan. Add hot water to halfway up the sides of the basin. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and steam the pudding until a thin skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean, about 1 1/4 hours. During cooking, add more boiling water if needed to maintain the level.
- Carefully remove the basin from the saucepan. Uncover and stand for 10 minutes. Run the tip of a knife around the top of pudding and the basin to loosen then turn onto a serving plate.
- Excellent served with brandy sauce or custard and lashings of whipped cream.