- Place the sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer. Do not stir but make sure that the sugar has dissolved in the early stages of heating.
- When the sugar is just turning a pale caramel (around 154C, you can use a sugar thermometer to check this), remove from the heat.
- Pour on to baking paper spead out on a metal tray or bench.
- Sprinkle over almonds and leave to cool.
- When cool, smash into pieces with a rolling pin. Sprinkle as a garnish.
For step-by-step instructions with pictures, go to: How to make praline.