Rolled chicken with apricot and pistachio stuffing
Photo by Babiche Martens.
For this boned and rolled chicken with pistachio and apricot stuffing, ask your butcher to debone the meat for you. This will save a lot of time if you haven't done this before. I have been making this rolled chicken for years. It's a moreish combination of pistachio and apricot which always impresses. Though it is fabulous hot, it's equally delicious cold and sliced for a picnic or lunch party.
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|½ cup||Pistachios, roughly chopped|
|½ cup||Dried apricots, roughly chopped|
|¼ cup||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|2 tsp||Fresh thyme|
|1½ cups||Breadcrumbs, fresh|
|½ tsp||Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1||Whole boned chicken|
|1 serving||Olive oil, for drizzling|
- Preheat and oven to 170C.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan to a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes until softened and slightly brown.
- In a large bowl combine the onion mix, pistachios, apricots, parsley, thyme, zest, breadcrumbs, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- On to a piece of baking paper lie the chicken out flat. If there are any holes, slice the meat and move to fill them. Spread the stuffing out over the chicken. Using the paper roll the chicken tightly. Tie the roll together tightly with string. Lift the paper and chicken and place into an oven-proof baking dish.
- Season the top with salt and pepper and drizzle over a little oil. Cook for 1¼-½ hour or until the juices run clear. Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes before carving into thin slices.