Polenta crumbed calamari salad with aioli and dates
This salad is inspired by a former flatmate, who started making a version after eating something similar at one of Simon Gault’s restaurants in Wellington years ago. The combination of dates and calamari with the spicy rocket is great. The polenta crumb on the calamari adds texture.
|2||Squid tubes, or calmari, cut into rings about 1cm wide|
|2 tsp||Chinese five spice|
|¾ cup||Polenta, ground|
|1 serving||Oil, for frying|
- Put the onion slices in a small bowl and cover with the lemon juice. Leave for a few minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the rocket, dates, onion and lemon juice, olive oil and aioli. Toss together gently to ensure the aioli lightly coats the rocket.
For the calamari:
- Place the polenta and five spice in a dish and coat the calamari rings in the mixture.
- Pour a thin layer of oil into a medium-large frying pan and heat to a medium-high heat. Fry the calamari in batches, cooking for about 1 minute each side until the crumb goes golden.
- Place on a plate covered in a paper towel, and add to the salad. Toss together gently and serve immediately.