Beef, stout and kawakawa pie
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 kg||Chuck steak, or gravy beef, trimmed and diced|
|2 Tbsp||Plain flour|
|1||Carrot, finely diced|
|2 tsp||Tomato paste|
|1 bottle||Stout, or dark ale|
|1 cup||Vegetable stock|
|1 cup||Red wine|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 packet||Puff pastry, pre rolled, dived into 4 and rolled 1cm thick|
|1||Egg, whisked with 2 tsp milk|
- Heat the oil in a saucepan then add the meat. Toss to cover with the oil, then sprinkle over the flour and stir.
- Add the onion, carrot, zest, kawakawa and bay leaf and stir. Add the tomato paste, stout, stock and wine.
- Let simmer very gently, skimming when necessary, for at least 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf, check for seasoning and let cool. Note: The meat filling can be made up to 3 days in advance.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Grease pie tins and line with pastry, then fill.
- Cover with pastry, brush with the egg wash, make cuts in the top and bake for 20-25 minutes or until well browned.