( MAKES 12 )
Photo by Doug Sherring
Making cupcakes is one of our cousins’ favourite Halloween things to do. The cupcake recipe is super-simple.We like to set up decorating stations for kids and let them go wild. There is heaps of Halloween-themed candy you can buy for the decorations and seeing the creative designs is fun.
- For the cupcakes, preheat oven to 170C fan bake. Beat butter unti light, add sugar and vanilla and beat together until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg.
- Sift the flour and add to the mix a little at a time, alternating with the milk until all combined.
- Place paper baking cases in a cupcake tin. Spoon in batter, filling the cases until they are about ⅔ full. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.Turn on to a wire rack and let cool.
- For the buttercream icing, beat butter until light and pale. Sift in the icing sugar, add the vanilla essence, food colouring and milk and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. If the mix seems too loose, add some more icing sugar and if it seems too thick, add extra milk.
- Add the mix to a piping or zip-lock bag, cut the corner and pipe on to the cupcakes. Decorate with Halloween lollies.