( MAKES 12 squares )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Granny Smith apples sandwiched between layers of delicious shortcake.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the first measure of sugar and the beaten egg. Add the milk, mixing to form a stiff dough. Tip out on to a lightly floured surface and knead lightly.
- Divide the dough in half then roll one piece out to fit a greased 20cm x 30cm tin.
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apples, then scatter over the dough. Sprinkle with the second measure of sugar and the brandy. Roll out the second piece of dough and lay over the apples, pressing down slightly.
- Bake for 25 minutes then dust with icing sugar and cut into pieces.