Quesadillas with mozzarella, smashed avocado and fresh chorizo
Photo by Tamara West
These cheese-filled tortillas are the Mexican equivalent of our toasted sandwich. Serve as soon as they are cooked or they will be a bit chewy.
Chorizo sausages vary in the amount of spice they contain so choose ones that suit your taste. If you have mild chorizo sausages and want a bit more spice, add some chopped fresh chilli to the avocado mixture.
- Place chorizo sausage meat in a large frying pan and cook over a medium-hot heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon to break up the meat, about 4 minutes or until just cooked through. Transfer to a plate and wipe out frying pan.
- Halve, remove stone and peel the avocado. Place on a large plate with lemon zest and juice and roughly mash with a fork. Season with salt.
- Heat frying pan (or use the flat plate on your barbecue) until warm.
- Place 1 tortilla on the bench top, spread with some avocado mixture, sprinkle over some of the cooked chorizo and top with mozzarella slices. Cover with another tortilla. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Carefully lift 2 filled tortillas into the frying pan and cook for about 1 minute, then turn over and cook the other side. Remove from pan and cut into triangles. Eat then cook the remaining 2 filled tortillas.
If using 4 large tortillas
Place 1 tortilla in the frying pan, spread avocado mixture on half of it with the chorizo and cheese. Fold the tortilla over the cheese and press the edges together gently to seal. Cook for 1 minute then turn over and cook the other side.