Leek, chickpea and lemon soup with roasted garlic oil
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil, plus 1 Tbsp extra|
|1 tsp||Coriander seeds|
|1||Baby onion, finely diced|
|1||Celery stalk, finely diced|
|1||Lemon, freshly zested and juiced|
|400 g||Chickpeas, tinned, drained|
|1½ cups||Vegetable stock, (or chicken stock)|
|1½ cups||Chicken stock, or vegetable stock|
|½ cup||White wine|
- Preheat oven to 180C. Wrap the garlic in tin foil and roast for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and butter, then add the coriander seeds, onion, celery and lemon zest. Stir for 5 minutes until golden and fragrant.
- Trim the ends off the leek and slice, discarding any tough outer leaves. Rinse to remove any dirt. Add to the saucepan with the chickpeas, stock, wine and bay leaf.
- Simmer for 30 minutes then remove the bay leaf. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste before serving in warm bowls.
- Squeeze roasted garlic cloves from skin and mash with the extra olive oil in a bowl, then spoon into soup to combine.