Leek, chickpea and lemon soup with roasted garlic oil
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil, (plus 1 Tbs extra)|
|1 tsp||Coriander seeds|
|1||Celery stalk, (finely diced)|
|1||Baby onion, (finely diced)|
|1||Lemon, (zest and juice)|
|400 g||Chickpeas, (tin, drained)|
|1½ cups||Vegetable stock, (or chicken stock)|
|½ cup||White wine|
|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper, (to season)|
- Preheat oven to 180C. Wrap the garlic in tin foil and roast for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and butter, then add the coriander seeds, onion, celery and lemon zest. Stir for 5 minutes until golden and fragrant.
- Trim the ends off the leek and slice, discarding any tough outer leaves. Rinse to remove any dirt. Add to the saucepan with the chickpeas, stock, wine and bay leaf.
- Simmer for 30 minutes then remove the bay leaf. Add the lemon juice and taste for seasoning before serving in warm bowls.
- Squeeze roasted garlic cloves from skin and mash with the extra olive oil in a bowl, then spoon into soup to combine.