French onion soup
Photo by Babiche Martens
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Using half of the butter, grease a baking dish (approximately 30cm x 20cm or big enough for the onions to form a well-packed layer) then slice the onions into rings.
- Lay in the dish and dot over the remaining butter. Add the bay leaves and fresh rosemary.
- Pour over the wine, stock and brandy and bake for 2 hours, stirring 2 or 3 times.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200C. Top the sourdough with the gruyere, lay on top of the onions and continue cooking for a further hour or until bubbling and golden.
- Turn off the oven then put 4 ovenproof bowls in to warm.
- After 5 minutes transfer the soup to the bowls (remove toast first and then place evenly on top of each filled bowl) and serve.
- Add a grind of pepper over the toast before eating.