Summer fruits and vanilla meringue
( SERVES 4 )
The meringue will keep for two days in an airtight container and the vanilla creme will keep for up to four days in the fridge. Just change the fruits used each day and you have a healthy dessert on hand for a few days.
- Heat the oven to 90C. Line a large, heavy baking tray with a silicone baking mat or baking paper.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add one heaped tablespoon of the icing sugar. Whisk until the mixture forms and holds soft peaks. Add the remaining icing sugar, continue whisking on high speed until the meringue is shiny and forms/holds stiff peaks.
- Spread/spoon desired shapes on the baking tray. (We made large circles and broke them in to shards.) Bake for 1½ hours or until crisp and dry. If your meringues are higher, you will need to bake them for longer. Baked meringues need to be stored in an airtight container away from humidity.
- For the vanilla creme, in a bowl combine the mascarpone with the vanilla seeds. Add a splash of milk and mix. Add the icing sugar, orange zest and another splash of milk. Whisk together until you get a smooth, silky texture.
- Slice or chop the kiwifruit just before you are ready to serve. Segment the mandarins.
- Arrange the fruit on a plate. Spoon some mascarpone on to the fruit (you could use a spoon to make quenelles, or use a piping bag). Scoop the sorbet next to the mascarpone and sprinkle crushed freeze-dried raspberries around the plate. Finish by decorating with shards of the meringue.